The most connectable airports in the world
There are many huge hubs around the world, but which airport is actually the busiest? Here you can read more about the ten most connectable airports in the world.
1. London Heathrow Airport (LHR), United Kingdom
Being the biggest airport in Europe and one of the biggest airports in the world, it comes as no surprise that London Heathrow Airport is number one in this compilation. The airport is the primary hub for British Airways and is a common place to stop for example when you’re flying to New York (JFK) or Amsterdam (AMS).
2. Frankfurt Airport (FRA), Germany
Frankfurt is located in the south western part of Germany, and is one of the busiest airports in Europe – especially when it comes to connecting flights. This airport has frequent routes to lots of places around the world, two of them being London Heathrow Airport and Berlin Airport. The dominant carrier at Frankfurt Airport is Lufthansa.
3. Chicago O’Hare Airport (ORD), USA
The most connected airport in the US is Chicago O’Hare Airport, with its dominant carrier United Airlines. This is mainly a hub for domestic flights in the US, and two popular routes lead to La Guardia in New York and Los Angeles Airport.
4. Amsterdam Schiphol Airport (AMS), Netherlands
Amsterdam Schiphol Airport is the main international airport in the Netherlands, and the primary hub for the airline KLM. This European airport is a common pitstop when you are traveling through Europe, for example when you are headed to London Heathrow Airport or Copenhagen Airport in Denmark.
5. Munich Airport (MUC), Germany
Munich Airport is the second busiest airport in Germany after Frankfurt, and lands on place number five of the most connectable airports in the world. The dominant carrier of this airport is Lufthansa, and two popular routes go to London Heathrow Airport and domestic flights to Hamburg Airport in Germany.
6. Toronto Pearson Airport (YYZ), Canada
Toronto Pearson Airport is the biggest airport in Canada and holds a large number of connections – primarily to the rest of North America. Two of the most well traveled routes take you to Vancouver and La Guardia in New York. The dominant carrier of this airport is Air Canada.
7. Charles de Gaulle (CDG), France
The French airport of Charles de Gaulle is located north of Paris, and is well connected to the rest of the world. The airport serves as the primary hub for Air France, and is frequently visited by travelers headed for London Heathrow Airport and Amsterdam Airport.
8. Atlanta Airport (ATL), USA
The airport of Atlanta is well visited primarily by travelers heading through the US. Two popular destinations are La Guardia in New York and Miami Airport. The airport is home base and the biggest hub for Delta Air Lines, who runs more than 50 per cent of the traffic passing through the airport.
9. Singapore Changi Airport (SIN), Singapore
The first airport on the list which is not located in Europe or the US is Singapore Changi Airport. This airport is well connected to the rest of Asia, with two of the most popular routes headed to Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok. The dominant carrier at the airport is Singapore Airlines.
10. Hong Kong Airport (HKG), Hong Kong
The airport in Hong Kong is a main hub when it comes to Asian air traffic, and has a busy schedule of flights from all over the world. Two popular routes connected to this airport are JFK in New York and Bangkok Airport in Thailand. The dominant carrier at Hong Kong Airport is Cathay Pacific Airways.
11. Incheon Airport (ICN), South Korea
12. Kuala Lumpur Airport (KUL), Malaysia
13. Los Angeles Airport (LAX), USA
14. Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK), Thailand
15. Mexico City Airport (MEX), Mexico
16. Soekarno-Hatta Airport (CGK), Indonesia
17. Istanbul Airport (IST), Turkey
18. John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK), USA
19. Dallas Fort Worth Airport (DFW), USA
20. Miami Airport (MIA), USA
21. Houston Airport (IAH), USA
22. Haneda Airport (HND), Japan
23. Newark Liberty Airport (EWR), USA
24. Dubai Airport (DXB), United Arab Emirates
25. Shanghai Pudong Airport (PVG), China
26. Sydney Airport (SYD), Australia
27. Vancouver Airport ( YVR), Canada
28. Madrid Airport (MAD), Spain
29. Manila Airport (MNL), Philippines
30. Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport (SVO), Russia
31. San Francisco Airport (SFO), USA
32. Bogota Airport (BOG), Colombia
33. Guangzhou Airport (CAN), China
34. Rome Fiumicino Airport (FCO), Italy
35. Delhi Airport (DEL), India
36. Beijing Capital Airport (PEK), China
37. Seattle Tacoma Airport (SEA), USA
38. O.R. Tambo Airport (JNB), South Africa
39. Narita Airport (NRT), Japan
40. Zurich Airport (ZRH), Switzerland
41. Montréal Trudeau Airport (YUL), Canada
42. Vienna Airport (VIE), Austria
43. Ho Chi Minh City Airport (SGN), Vietnam
44. Boston Logan Airport (BOS), USA
45. Barcelona Airport (BCN), Spain
46. Guarulhos Airport (GRU), Brazil
47. Auckland Airport (AKL), New Zealand
48. Oslo Airport (OSL), Norway
49. Don Mueang Airport (DMK), Thailand
50. Mumbai Airport (BOM), India
**The list is based on the Megahub Index 2019 made by OAG. The airports are ordered by the number of scheduled connections with international flights in a combination with the number of destinations offered at each airport.